Key Sections of a Controller Resume
A well-written controller resume should have the following key sections:
The professional summary is the first section of a controller resume and should provide a brief overview of the candidate’s professional background. It should highlight their experience, skills, and key achievements. It should grab the attention of the hiring manager and entice them to read the rest of the resume.
This section should provide a detailed description of the candidate’s work experience. It should include job titles, employment dates, and responsibilities. It should talk about the candidate’s ability to lead and manage, as well as their knowledge of money.
Education and Certifications
This section should include the candidate’s academic qualifications, including degrees, diplomas, and certifications. It should also list any training or courses in financial management that are relevant.
This section should list the candidate’s most important skills and areas of expertise, such as financial analysis, budgeting, forecasting, and risk management. It should also include any technical skills related to financial management software or systems.
Achievements and Awards
In this section, the candidate should list any important accomplishments or awards he or she has won, such as an award for excellent financial management or leadership.
Tips for Writing a Great Controller Resume
To create a great controller resume, consider the following tips:
Customize your resume for each job application
Tailor your resume to the specific job requirements of each position you apply for. Highlight skills and experiences that are most relevant to the job.
Use action verbs to describe your accomplishments
Use strong action verbs like “managed,” “developed,” and “implemented” to describe your achievements. This will make your resume more engaging and dynamic.
Quantify your achievements
Use numbers, percentages, and other metrics to quantify your achievements wherever possible. This will demonstrate the impact of your work and make your resume more impressive.
Highlight your leadership and management skills
Controllers are expected to lead and manage financial teams effectively. Therefore, emphasize your leadership and management skills throughout your resume.
Include relevant keywords and phrases
Use keywords and phrases from the job description to show that you are a good fit for the position.
Mistakes to Avoid When Writing a Controller Resume
Avoid the following mistakes when writing a controller resume:
Spelling and Grammar Errors
Spelling and grammar errors can create a negative impression on the hiring manager. Always proofread your resume before submitting it.
While it is important to highlight your achievements, avoid exaggerating them. Be honest about your accomplishments and the impact you had on the organization.
Omitting Key Skills or Experiences
Make sure to list all relevant skills and experiences, even if they are not directly related to financial management. Employers look for well-rounded candidates who can bring a range of skills to the job.
Including Irrelevant Information
Only include information that is relevant to the job you are applying for. Don’t put personal information like hobbies or interests on your resume unless it has something to do with the job.
Using a Generic Resume
Avoid using a generic resume for all job applications.
Controller Resume Sample Template
Name: Sarah Johnson
Phone Number: (123) 456-7890
Address: 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA
Highly experienced Controller with over 10 years of financial management experience. Skilled in financial analysis, budgeting, forecasting, and risk management. Proven track record of successfully leading financial teams and achieving company goals. Looking to apply my skills and experience in a challenging role as a controller.
Controller, XYZ Company
January 2018 – Present
- Manage the accounting department, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and general ledger functions
- Develop and implement financial policies and procedures to ensure compliance with company and industry standards
- Prepare and analyze financial reports, including balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements
- Conduct financial analysis to identify areas for cost reduction and improved profitability
- Provide financial guidance and support to senior management and department heads
Senior Financial Analyst, ABC Corporation
March 2013 – December 2017
- Conducted financial analysis and forecasting for a multi-million dollar division
- Developed and maintained financial models to support decision-making and strategic planning
- Analyzed market trends and industry data to identify growth opportunities and risks
- Collaborated with cross-functional teams to develop and implement business strategies
- Prepared and presented financial reports and presentations to senior management and board of directors
Education and Certifications
Master of Business Administration in Finance, University of XYZ
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, University of ABC
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Financial analysis and forecasting
- Budgeting and variance analysis
- Risk management and mitigation
- Team leadership and management
- Strategic planning and decision-making
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in financial management software, including QuickBooks, Oracle, and SAP
Achievements and Awards
- Awarded “Outstanding Financial Manager” by ABC Corporation in 2016
- Successfully led a team of 5 financial analysts to achieve a 15% reduction in operating expenses in 2019
References are available upon request.