How to Ace Your CPA Interview: Common Questions and Answers
“The key to a successful interview is to be confident, keep a positive attitude, and be able to give examples of your skills and experience that show you are qualified for the job.” – Susan M. Heathfield
As a certified public accountant (CPA), your interview is your chance to show a potential employer your skills and experience. To make a great impression, it’s important to prepare ahead of time and anticipate the questions you might be asked. In this article, we’ll show you how to answer some of the most common CPA interview questions.
Personal anecdote: I remember when I was interviewing for my first CPA position, I was extremely nervous and didn’t know what to expect. However, I found that preparing ahead of time and practicing my answers with a friend or family member helped boost my confidence and make a great impression during the interview.
Common CPA Interview Questions
- What inspired you to become a CPA?
- What do you think are the most important skills for a CPA to possess?
- Can you walk me through your experience with [specific accounting software]?
- What accounting or auditing standards do you consider most important?
- How do you stay up-to-date with changes in tax laws and regulations?
Best Answers to CPA Interview Questions
- When answering the question about what inspired you to become a CPA, be honest and discuss your passion for accounting and your desire to help businesses succeed.
- For the question about important skills for a CPA, highlight your ability to communicate effectively, think critically, and work well under pressure.
- When discussing your experience with accounting software, be specific and provide examples of how you’ve used the software to improve processes or solve problems.
- For a description of accounting or auditing standards, mention the standards you’re most familiar with and how you’ve applied them in your work.
- When discussing how you stay up-to-date with changes in tax laws and regulations, talk about your commitment to continuing education and attending relevant conferences or workshops.
Additional Tips for a Successful CPA Interview
- Research the company and the position ahead of time.
- Practice your answers to common interview questions.
- Be prepared to discuss your strengths and weaknesses.
- Show enthusiasm for the position and the company.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics says that the number of accountants and auditors will grow by 6% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all jobs.