Getting to the Top: Becoming a Successful Director of Finance Job Description
A director of finance plays a critical leadership role in the financial health and strategy of an organization. If you aspire to move into this coveted C-suite position one day, understanding the job description, core duties, must-have skills and more can set you on the right path.
What Does a Director of Finance Do?
A director of finance is the head of financial planning and strategy to drive organizational growth and success.
- Developing short and long-term financial roadmaps aligned with business goals
- Preparing budgets, cash flow plans and financial forecasts
- Providing insightful data analysis and financial modeling for decision-making
- Overseeing reporting on expenditure, profitability and other financial metrics
- Leading contract negotiations, pitches and investment decisions
- Ensuring legal, regulatory and compliance best practices
Critical Skills and Traits for the Role
To prepare for this prestigious leadership position, you’ll need proficiency across technical and soft skills plus the right personality traits.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related discipline
- MBA or Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Financial planning and analysis
- Accounting principles
- Budgeting and forecasting models
- Data modelling and analytics
- Risk modelling and management
- Understanding of the legal/regulatory landscape
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills
- Clear communication and active listening
- Strong presentation abilities
- Relationship building and client management
- Sharp analytical thinking and problem-solving
- High integrity and ethical standards
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Tenacity and resilience
- Proactive self-starter
- Commitment to continuing education
As director of finance, you lead critical initiatives impacting the company’s financial footing and freedom to operate. By mastering finance skills and honing leadership qualities, you can prepare for this esteemed executive career peak.