Understanding Financial Clerk Job Description
This guide explores the key Financial Clerk Job Description, responsibilities, required skills, education and training to properly prepare for a career as a financial clerk.
A Job Overview
A financial clerk processes financial transactions and maintains financial records for organizations. Read on for an overview of what a financial clerk’s job entails.
Financial Clerk Job Description
- Works in the finance department of various types of establishments like corporations, government agencies, schools etc.
- Key duties involve processing payments, preparing financial statements, reviewing records for accuracy, reconciling accounts etc.
- Interacts with customers and subordinates on financial matters.
Typical Work Environments
- Finance departments
- Accounting firms
- Insurance companies
- Government agencies
Financial Clerk Responsibilities
Processing Financial Transactions
- Prepare invoices, account statements, expense reports etc.
- Review documents for accuracy and compliance with regulations.
- Reconcile accounts to ensure numbers match between systems.
Maintaining Financial Records
- Record day-to-day financial transactions
- Update ledgers, spreadsheets, databases
- Archive financial documents
Providing Customer Support
- Address client and customer queries on transactions, statements, charges etc.
- Guide clients on financial best practices
- Comply with internal financial policies and government regulations
- Support external and internal audits
Financial Clerk Requirements and Skills
- High school diploma or equivalent qualification
- Coursework in math, accounting, and finance helpful
- Proficiency with spreadsheets and accounting software
- A keen eye for detail
- Strong math and bookkeeping skills
- Customer service orientation
- Integrity – handle monetary transactions ethically
- Discretion – protect confidential data
- Organization – keep meticulous records
This provides an overview of what a financial clerk typically handles in their job on a day-to-day basis – key responsibilities, must-have skills and working conditions. Please let me know if you need any clarification or would like me to add/modify any areas!